Jun 13, 2011

This Little Light of Mine

Taken from the well known children's song this chorus really stuck out to me. This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine. Hide it under a bush, oh no, I'm gonna let it shine. As I really stop to think on what that chorus really says ; I think, what is that light of mine? where did I get it and what is it  shining for?

In John 8:12 Jesus says, * I am the light of this world. If you follow me, you won't have to walk in darkness , because, you will have the light that leads to life.* In my  understanding of what that is saying is that Jesus is that light of mine and if I walk with him then I won't be walking in a life of darkness and sin that leads only to death. I also see that light as the Holy Spirit illuminating the pathway of my life so that I won't trip over the darkness of sin and fall into it again.


When you turn on a light, or light a candle , are you the only one who can see from it or does that light up the whole room so that others may see as well? In as much as a light bulb lights up a whole room, Jesus thru us will light the whole world. 

As for the rest of that chorus, *Hide it under a bush oh no, I'm gonna let it shine.* When you hide something it denotes that you are ashamed of it and afraid someone will find out about it. If I have the light of Jesus shining thru me but, I hide it, in essence i am saying I'm ashamed of it and I don't want others to see or know that I am a christian.

I am neither ashamed or afraid to let the light of Jesus shine thru my life. And my only prayer is that through my light others can see Jesus clearly and come to know him as I have.

Are you having trouble letting your light shine forth? Romans 8:31 says* If God be for you , who then can be against you? So stand up and shine your light brightly because there is someone waiting to see it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Shine on Cheryl :) ♥