Jun 7, 2011

What does the symbol of the cross mean to you?

We all know the story of the cross how they beat and tortured Jesus and hung him on the cross with nails in his hands and feet and a crown of thorns on his head. But take a moment to reflect  when you look upon a cross or you wear a cross around your neck. what does it mean to you? Two pieces of wood? A nice piece of jewelry? Maybe if we think deeply we see it for what took place that day upon the cross. But, do you really think about what it really means for you and you alone?

For me, as I was looking into purchasing one for my granddaughter, I knew in my heart that I couldn't just give it to her with her thinking of it as a pretty piece of jewelry. I need to share with her what special meaning that cross holds for me and pray that when she wears it she will find her own special meaning of it.

To me the cross does symbolize the fact that he died and suffered the wrath of God for my sins though he was an innocent man. Yes, it does symbolize that through his death He defeated the devil for me, and yes, it does symbolize that he defeated death ,hell, and the grave. But, to me it symbolizes much more.

To me it symbolizes His great love for me, it symbolizes that because of what he did on that cross I can enter the courts of God washed clean of my sins, it means that when I feel  there is none else to turn to that he was always there waiting for me. It means I have found someone in whom I can place my trust and faith and know it will never be  trampled upon , or broken as man is bound to do one time or another. It means to me that I have healing of my soul spirit and body that no other can provide because it cost the blood of Jesus to provide it for me. But, most of all to me it means that He chose me to give his life for , to die upon that cross for , he chose me even before I had chosen him.He chose me!!!

What does that cross mean to you personally? Do you see the overwhelming value of what took place on that cross? The cross itself is just a symbol of what took place but, It also is a reminder of what he did for us. 

No comments: